Burn Permit Rules

Written by John Wright. Posted in Uncategorised













Rules for Burning Permits 

In the Fowlerville Area Fire District 


 1.       Permits may be applied for on our website or are available by telephone at 223-          7588 .  To obtain a permit you must leave the following information:  


·      Name and spelling of last name 

·      Address 

·      Township 

·      Telephone Number 

·      What is to be burned / Type of fire 

·      Dates burning is to be done  


Be sure to provide all information requested, or the permit will not be valid.  


2.       Permits are good only for the dates issued.  Permits can be obtained for up to four (4) days from the request date.  Those persons wishing a permit beyond the four day limit should call back. 


3.       No fire shall be set at a time when a high wind is blowing.


4.       Although a person has a permit to burn, he/she is still responsible for keeping the fire under control, and is responsible for any damage to property which may result from burning done under his/her control. 


5.       Any permit issued may be revoked if conditions are such that burning 

          may not be done safely.


6.       Burning permits are issued for burning during the daylight hours only. 

          If any burning is to take place after dark, arrangements must be made  

          in advance by calling the department business phone.   (223-8561.) 


7.       An adequate fire line shall be made around the area to be burned, and

          a sufficient amount of people to control the fire shall be on hand at the time of burning. 


8.       The Fowlerville Area Fire Department, acting as an authorized agent of the Department of Natural Resources is limited to issuing burning permits only for the following:


A       Grass, Leaves, and Brush. 

B.      The burning of refuse in approved incinerators. 

C.      Campfires and fires used for outdoor cooking and other outdoor         recreational purposes.  Recreational fires must be kept small in size.


9.     The following types of open burning are specifically not allowed:


          A.      The open burning of building demolition or excess construction  

                     material is not allowed. 

          B.       The open burning of automobiles or parts is not allowed. 

          C.       The open burning of furniture is not allowed. 

          D.      The open burning of refuse from multiple dwellings is not 



          E.       The open burning of refuse at commercial and industrial sites is  



          F.       The open burning of flammable, toxic, or explosive materials is 

                     not allowed.


G.      Only campfires / recreational fires are allowed within the Fowlerville Village limits. Any other type of open burning is not allowed.


H.            Persons wishing to burn off large parcels more than two acres 

must call the Department of Natural Resources Brighton Field Office at (810 229-5762 to obtain a permit.





1.       The campfire / recreational fire shall not be more that 3 ft. in diameter not morethan 2 ft. high


          2.       The campfire / recreational fire must be in a pit or container


          3.       All campfires / recreational fires must have a permit. 



         In the event the fire department is called either by yourself or another person and you are burning without a permit or burning unauthorized materials you WILL be billed for the cost of the fire run.



Click here to file a burn permit with the fire department.